December 29, 2012

2013 Resolutions

A New Year means time to make those dreaded resolutions.  Since I am a person that loves to categorize, it's only natural for me to categorize my resolutions into different areas of my life as well! :)

Teaching Goals:

1.  Continuing to work on guided reading and learning about each of my students as individual readers in order to be able to select texts that are going to help them grow and improve on the different areas surrounding their reading: fluency, comprehension within, beyond, and about the text, becoming more intrinsically motivated to read on their own, etc.  I also want to continue to work on how I document this progress through anecdotal notes and the Benchmark Assessment and communicate it to parents.

2.  Getting students to become more reflective.  Teaching middle school with a Reading and Writing Workshop format requires students to commit to applying minilessons to their independent reading and writing, daily.  In order to grow as readers and writers, students have to independently push themselves as well.  One way to get students to do this is to actually teach them to be more self-reflective.  I plan to accomplish this through having them reflect on finished writing pieces with a written reflection and also reflecting on their reading list as far as which genres/how many books/different authors they have read so far this year.  I also plan to incorporate self-reflective questions more often into writing conferences and guided reading lessons.  It will be my goal to simply ask students, "What are you going to do to make yourself a better reader/writer?" Having those conversations are the first step!  I can also do this by modeling my self-reflective thinking to students about how I plan to make myself a better reader/writer.

Literacy Coaching Goals:

1.  To provide more visuals to the Language Arts teachers in my professional development class during PD sessions.  This would include more video clips that we could watch and debrief when introducing new pieces of the framework/spiraling back to pieces of the framework.  Also, teaching different pieces of the framework by having them take on the role of the student in a classroom to learn it.  I feel that there is so much focus on all the different ways/strategies to teach children that I forget that adults are diverse learners too and that I need to make sure I vary my approaches in order to reach all of the adult learners in my class.

2.  To read, read, and read some more.  Knowledge is power, and there are so many great blogs, books, and resources out there that I haven't even had time yet to dig into and discover.  I know that the more new ideas I can present to the teachers I work with during coaching sessions that are grounded in research and books, the better!

Blogging Goals:

1.  To continue to learn about how it all works.  It's like a whole new language to me (blog buttons, linky parties, etc.), so just staying dedicated to learning as I go and not getting frustrated if I don't progress as fast as I'd like.  Another saying that I love, "Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle).  It's just something for me to keep in mind when starting my new blogging adventure. :)  My immediate goal, however, is to get a blog logo and add a blog button.  We'll see how that goes since I really have no idea what I'm doing! :)

Personal Life Goals:

1.  To read more!  I expect my students to read at home, so I need to do a better job in the New Year of modeling that to make sure that I am taking the time to read books that I enjoy in a variety of genres by a variety of authors.

2.  I love to run, and do a pretty good job most of the time with getting in a couple of runs a week.  Of course though, there are times when life gets in the way, and I have noticed that with my job being a little different this year, there are weeks that go by without me doing something that I love and something that makes me feel so much better about myself! :)  So in the New Year, I decided to arrange "work out buddies" throughout the week to keep me on track.  I already have a Thursday night outside (yes outside in the Wisconsin winter) running date set weekly with one of my best high school friends.  A teacher that I teach with and I have also dedicated 2 morning a week to meet at our local gym for a before-school work out.  I'm hoping that at minimum, I will work out 3 times/week with others and then hopefully get a few workouts in on my own as well!  I saw this Pinterest quote the other day that had to do with in order to be able to teach well, you had to be well.  I couldn't agree more with this!  I believe that in order to effectively work with students day in and day out, teachers have to make sure they are taking care of themselves as well!  So in the New Year, I'm going to take the time to go to the gym, try to get more sleep, and do the things that make me happy, even if it means sometimes that I'm not as "ahead" in my school work that I'd like to be.  I have a feeling that if I hold myself to it, I will be more productive in the long run!

So there are my goals!  I guess I better get busy! :)  What are some of your goals for the New Year?  I hope that everyone's New Year kicks off to a great start.  Please enjoy and relax during the rest of break!

Kasey

  
Teaching Maddeness

16 comments :

  1. Hey there- I am your newest follower. I cam across your blog as par of the above Resolution Linky Party. I love some of the ideas you have for literacy. I teach 5th graders who think they are too cool to read. I am an avid reader myself so it is my personal goal to get them to love reading. Good luck with your resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to my Resolutions Linky Party!

    I teach 3rd grade but there is no denying the value of reading at every level. I teach math/science, but I always try to read what my students are reading so we can discuss the books and I can be a role model for how fun it is to read!

    I admire your passion for running! My two boys are runners (cross country and marathons). I'm around running all the time, but just can't get tarted myself.

    Have a great 2013!

    Diane
    Teaching With Moxie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having the Linky Party, Diane! I had fun with it. It's so awesome for your students to see other teachers as readers besides their Language Arts teacher. There are so many cool ideas on Pinterest for building into running for people trying to get started! :) Have a great 2013 as well! :)

      Kasey

      Delete
  3. I love your personal goal to read more. I am quite a hypocrite when it comes to this as I too ask my students to read at home but don't read myself unless it is summer. I must get better at this! Thanks for sharing your resolutions!

    Covered in Glitter and Glue 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that you feel this way, too! We can try to just add in a little each day! :) Happy 2013!

      Kasey

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking up and sharing your resolutions, Kasey! One of my goals is to READ more for pleasure throughout the school year, too! I also find that a "workout buddy" is the way to go! If I don't have someone to hold me accountable I definitely slack off! ;) Here's to hoping we can reach our goals in 2013!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    PS - I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I'm excited to follow your blog as well. Happy 2013!!

      Delete
  5. Great goals! I love your idea of having the students reflect on their written pieces and I am definitely going to add that question, "What are YOU doing to become a better reader/writer?" when I conference with my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! Self-reflection is definitely something that I want to do a better job of modeling and promoting in my students. I hope that question helps! Have a great New Year!!

      Kasey

      Delete
  6. Kasey--so many great goals. I especially connect to the reading goal. I read aloud to my students and my own kids, read professional books like mad, and then I'm pretty much tapped out. Like most things, I suppose scheduling it in might help? I don't know! You've reminded me I need to make more time for my own reading for pleasure and interest these days.

    I'm so glad I found you! I'm a former Literacy Coach (took 3 years away from the classroom and then went back in), and have been teaching Reading and Writing Workshop in Teachers College affiliate schools since the mid-90's (yes, I'm old). Feel free to bend my ear if you have any workshop questions--I may not know the answer, but I can certainly share my experience.

    Happy 2013!

    --Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great minds think alike! Please come and link up your party with the New Year Linky Party I am hosting at http://teachingisagift.blogspot.ca/2012/12/2013-new-year-linky-party.html. There are almost 100 TPT authors and teacher bloggers joining together to ring in the New Year and I would love to have you join us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked up! Thanks for the invite! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Kasey, I read your blog via email and its great.
    On our website we are hosting a Middle School button link up by speciality or generalist subject.
    If you are interested please visit to view the site and details.
    http://2peasandadog.blogspot.ca/p/middle-school-blog-log.html
    Thank you for considering.
    Happy Blogging
    Kristy @ 2peasandadog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristy,

      I am a little behind in the blogging world, so I don't have a "blog button" yet but I'm working on it! I'll link up once a have one. I started following your blog though! :)

      Thanks,
      Kasey

      Delete
  9. Hi Kasey! Happy New Year friend! I just found your blog...I see you posting all kinds of amazing resources for middle school on TpT and I'm soooo proud of you! I can't wait for our TpT meeting in Boston in just a few weeks:)

    Miss you!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen! :) Happy New Year to you too! I'm pretty excited that in a few short weeks, we'll all be together again! I can't wait to talk about everything that's changed since last time! Miss you too!!

      Kasey

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...