June 20, 2014

Video Blog Post on Middle School Reading Workshop

Happy Summer!

I know that these first two weeks of summer vacation for me have helped to reduce the bags under my eyes and lower my blood pressure down a bit.  As much as I LOVE summer, I feel like school is always something that's on my mind, and I definitely want to continue to communicate with you over the summer.  I tried something a little bit different today for a blog post and recorded a quick video clip of me talking about the importance of setting up routines in Reading Workshop at the middle school level.  If you're interested in hearing about this, click on the link below.


7 comments :

  1. Thanks for the video! Your suggestions are right on target. Getting procedures set is so important and is often the piece that is missing when setting up and being successful using the workshop model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Victoria! Thanks for your feedback. You're right on when you say it's often the piece that is forgotten when setting up the workshop models. In order for students to be independent readers and writers at any age level, routines and expectations must be thoroughly established.

      Delete
  2. "Do mini-lessons on the simple things". I'm just finishing my second year of teaching and I'm diving head first into guided reading and reader's and writer's workshop. Definitely out of my comfort zone. I love your blog because our school division uses F&P as well so I feel like your speaking a language I understand. The video post was cool. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to be "speaking your language." :) I LOVE F&P and have had some amazing opportunities to listen to Irene Fountas speak on a variety of topics about literacy. Thanks for the positive feedback on the video post as well...I still haven't willed myself to watch it...something about seeing yourself on video, haha!

      Delete
  3. Meant to say starting guided reading and reader's and writer's workshop NEXT YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi Megan,

      F&P stands for Fountas and Pinnell. They are the literacy gurus who developed the Literacy Collaborative teaching model.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...