August 1, 2014

Interactive Vocabulary and Interactive Edit Examples Connected Through Interactive Read Aloud

I have raved over and over again on my blog this past school year about the use of Interactive Read Alouds (IRA) to infuse grammar and vocabulary instruction.  Each day I began my Language Arts class with what I referred to as a "Do Now."  Students knew to come into class, grab their materials needed for the day based on what was listed on the white board outside of the classroom, and begin their "Do Now."  This year I tried to read from our IRA at least four days a week ten minutes or more, depending on the time we had.  The "Do Nows" were directly correlated to the section of text we were reading from our IRA for that day.

What I found was students would get excited when they heard a sentence from our "Do Now" during the IRA.  They also were able to internalize vocabulary meanings and grammar principles in a way that I've never seen a group of my students do so.  I believe a big reason for this is because the grammar and vocabulary were not done in isolation.  They connected right into our IRA, and I would also then infuse the concepts from the "Do Now" for that day into Reading and Writing Workshop.

This morning I went through a few weeks of Smartboard lessons from this past school year and took screenshots of our "Do Nows" to share with you as examples of Interactive Edits and Interactive Vocabulary.  I hope these examples spur some ideas for how you can use Interactive Read Alouds in your classroom next year to infuse grammar and vocabulary instruction.

(Click on the screen shots below to see as a full screen.)













12 comments :

  1. Thanks Kasey, this is exactly what I was looking for. I looked through your blog posts for these types of activities but was unsuccessful. If there are other examples you can send my way I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Sharon! I'm glad this helps! :) If you go on the side bar of my blog where it says "View Posts by Topics" and click on "Interactive Edit" you will see more examples and more detailed blog posts about them. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. You are so right with your "Do Now" activities. I never even thought of taking real writing from our lit circle/whole class novel or whatever piece we are working on and having them extend on it or annotate it like this. Usually I do a quote two days a week, a writing prompt or picture prompt of some sorts, and since I bought your middle school spelling unit, I will do that as a warm-up--what a run-on LOL! Keep posting your fabulous ideas. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this post gave you some new ideas to use in your classroom and that my middle school spelling unit will be put to good use next year! :) Have an awesome school year!

      Delete
  3. This may may a silly question... I e been looking at your stuff for quite awhile tonight. But, is this "Do Now" in your TpT products? Also, when do you "check-in" HW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! I do not have a "do now" product in my TpT store. It's definitely something I'd like to do in the future though! :) I check students' minilesson applications at the beginning of independent reading time during workshop generally.

      Delete
  4. One more question! Do they get a copy of the DO NOW text you have on the board? Or do they used a whiteboard and just write notes down? Or is it done in their English Notebooks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! They have word study notebooks and write in there daily. I do not necessarily have them copy down what's on the board, more so I have them record their thinking.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kasey, Let me first say I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Getting ready to start a new year, you have given me some great ideas. How soon do you begin the Interactive Read Aloud and subsequent Vocabulary and Sentence Stalking? Do you teach mini lessons first, such as, commas and how they are used before introducing that in a Do Now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually start the IRA and sentence stalking/vocabulary activities within the first week of the school year because I like having it as part of the routine immediately. I let the teaching points come up organically as students examine the sentences and jump in with teaching points and reinforce the students noticings. Day after day, students begin to pick up these points without having to explicitly drill and kill a specific, isolated point. As the year gets rolling, I do focus in on a certain comma rule for example for a week straight so that students notice that comma rule in different sentences throughout the week. I'm not focusing in on just that though because students also notice other things about the sentence, too.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. The coordinating conjunctions For And Nor But Or Yet So.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...